Monday, August 31, 2009

Storytelling

There's a certain obvious freedom that comes with having a very small audience. Since I can never be sure that I'm writing for anyone but me, most of the time I simply write for me. I get a vision in my head, a line of dialogue, the workings of a theme, and I try to manifest it. It's something I enjoy, writing, something I find sacred in a strange irreverent way, and while I take my work seriously, I find it hard to think of myself (or most other writers for that matter) in a serious light. It's really a foolish bit of business, stringing words together into a sentence, sentences into paragraphs, hoping someone will read them. It can also be a pain in the ass, and I wonder if anyone would do it at all if the need to tell stories wasn't such a deep-seated human compulsion. I need to tell stories, and the stories in my head apparently need to get out. It seems like this should be categorized as a mental illness, but I've heard they actually give awards for it.

1 comment:

  1. is the need to tell stories a strange, quirky human itch, the result of some very problematic brainwiring in the species? or an index of the imperative of the human to transcend? or are these two ways of saying the same thing? (This is Jay btw. You scratch my blog I'll scratch yours ;) . . . )

    ReplyDelete